Foundations of International Development
Join us to explore the critical role played by international development relationships in effective statecraft and gain foundation-level understanding of development concepts and program delivery to help them build those relationships.
You’ll discover the central role the Australian Government’s international development program plays in our regional engagement, and how we work with partners to contribute to a peaceful, stable and prosperous Indo-Pacific.
Our 4-week Foundations of International Development Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) will guide you through the key knowledge and skills required to deliver the Australian Government’s international development support, including:
- conceptual frameworks for understanding international development and the roles of bilateral and multilateral actors
- key development challenges and how the Australian Government forms its responses
- the core role played by development relationships to the practice of “statecraft” in the region
- effective delivery of Australia’s multi-billion dollar Official Development Assistance program.
You’ll also explore the connection of development to politics, economics, history, foreign policy and our region, and learn how this high-level analysis is translated into strategic programming and implementation decisions.
Our MOOCs are interactive social learning, where you are encouraged to share your experiences and engage directly with lead educators and fellow learners. It’s a self-paced online course, with approximately 6 hours of study required each week.
Course details – Foundations of International Development
Date: Monday 13 November – Sunday 10 December 2023 (4 weeks)
Mode of delivery: Online (MOOC)
Time commitment: 6 hours of study per week (self -paced, at times that suit you)
Learning level: Foundation
Audience: All DFAT staff, including locally engaged staff, and APS staff that oversee international development activities.
The Foundations of International Development course is the third of the Diplomatic Academy’s MOOCs. These popular, facilitated, online courses enable large groups of DFAT and Australian Government officers, both in Australia and overseas, to gain core foundation-level knowledge and skills and build their international engagement capability in a short period of time.
Our collection includes:
- Understanding Australia’s Foreign Policy (winner of Best Capability Building Program at the 2021 Australian Institute of Training and Development’s Excellence Awards)
- Working as a Multilateral Diplomat
- Foundations of International Development
Note: You will need a Lumi account to learn more about these courses.